Monday, June 4, 2012

Disciple Of Discipline: Following ones own regiment

As I look at my life as an overview at this moment, one word can sum up how I have lived. And that word is "Discipline". As a child I disciplined myself to read voraciously, I taught myself  how to draw with the desire to become an architect, and that was my mission until music spoke to me, and drew me in. When I got my first bass, I put forth discipline upon myself myself to practice daily without any supervision, or teacher, and listened to record after record trying to play song after song. When I got older and first smelled pot, I hated it, and vowed to never let that enter into me, along with any other drugs, and stuck with imposing that discipline upon myself,  and I disciplined myself to not drink. I continue my ways of discipline to work out in a gym, and writing, and I impose what are to some, unrealistic standards upon myself and my conduct, and what I plan to accomplish. I am a disciple of discipline, and constantly try to push the boundaries of what I think I can do just for myself. This discipline I believe came from everything that my Grandparents instilled in me. They raised me, and always told me that I could do whatever I wanted to do in life, if I believed in it, and put forth the effort. I will always be grateful for that, because My Grandmother always said to follow no one but yourself, and your instincts. Be the leader of what you want, not the follower of what someone else wants. Be the Shepherd, and not the sheep. Which brings me to the crux of this Blog.

Many people have no structure among themselves. Something rules the roost of their soul, and Whatever it is, seems to always get in the way of something that they pursue. Whether it be health, a hobby, a task that they want to perform, quitting something, starting something, or for some, just functioning every day in life. Some manage to hook up with people who they "follow", and therefore if they follow, how can they ever lead themselves?  Discipline takes confidence in one's self that something can be accomplished by perseverance, and patience. Patience is the one thing that is a necessary tandem to discipline, because things never happen overnight, but often people get discouraged when it doesn't. Waiting isn't always a requirement for something to happen, but often patience is. There is a distinct difference because one utilizes an individual's involvement and personal  investment into something. Many people sit and wait for something, While others are patient that something will happen because of their proactive involvement. And the discipline that it takes for that patience to happen is crucial to the outcome. There has to be a "Point A", a realistic goal of something, a path to it, and a "Point B" with regimented actions that have to take place in between. The leader is you, as well as the follower, and that is always key.
 Besides work, It would drive me absolutely nuts to have to follow someone because of some reason. Mostly because what everyone else does, I can't stand, so why would I make myself miserable by following it, even if the results seem easy and quick? I don't care for trends, I don't care to assimilate to anyone's standards except my own, and I set my standards high, and don't accept nonsense. I sometimes can't understand why more people abandon this philosophy for low standards of behavior, of their friends' behavior, and what they expect form themselves and people around them. That is freedom to me, and freedom is power. When you are a disciple of discipline, you are actually in control of the very thing that you are supposed to control..Yourself. And you will not let anyone guide you towards something because someone else is doing it, or because of the wrong reasons for doing something. There is only one right reason to do something..Because you want to do it for the act itself. I became a musician and took on the discipline for one reason..Because music spoke to me, and I wanted to play it to the best of my ability. Not for girls, not to be famous, and not to be rich. I tell young musicians that all of the time because if none of those peripheral things happen, you still have to have the burning desire to play music. That should be the reason. So the imposition of discipline upon yourself is a desired burden that is personal, and not subjected to change, because of changing conditions of motivation.
I may drive some people nuts with my regiments routines, standards, and my complete disdain for following what other people are doing, but I will have it no other way. I will always be a disciple of discipline, and a follower of no one but myself. Anyone can have this mindset, if they decide to want it. Like anything discipline takes practice, and patience, and a will to persevere at something. Also an understanding that quite probably the best person that has your best interest is you. You can receive advice, you can take pieces of what other people have done, and add it to your file cabinet of what is you, but in the end, evolve yourself, and follow no one. Whatever you want, be disciplined, and make discipline a part of your repertoire of conduct. Be a disciple of yourself, and you will be amazed at the freedom from pressure that you feel, because whatever someone else does, just doesn't matter.  You set the trend, you set the bar for excellence, and you let people know that whatever is going on, this is what you're doing because you believe in it, and yourself. So whatever you want to do, or not do, you be the supplier of the discipline, and be patient in your practice of it.
 The true reward is you..Leader of yourself...Disciple of your thoughts...Owner of your soul. With discipline, and patience..All of those are possible.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this blog,, beacuse there is such a lack of discipline in society,,, I am very disciplined and it does make for a better life,, thanks Mel,, a great read this morning!!

    ReplyDelete