Friday, April 8, 2011

Methodology....Work it baby!

I love the word "Methodology" and use it all of the time. it's just my particularly fancy way of saying "Practiced approach towards work ethic." How many times have we asked someone how they learned how to do a particular thing, and the answer was, "I don't know..I just practiced and did it." Most of us who learn how to do something, or take on something that has to stick with us do what feels comfortable for our particular process. Everyone approaches stuff differently, and everyone has a different pace in which it is absorbed. I have been fascinated with some folks, and watched how they executed their learning process, and tried to imitate it, and failed miserably never understanding just how the hell they could learn like that. That's why each brain is so fascinating because each of us has a particular way of being wired for absorbing, storing, and regurgitating information. Everyone can have a methodology to learn something. it's just a matter of desire. If you want to learn how to do something bad enough, you'll do it, plain and simple. There are no shortcuts, although  too many people look for them, and waste time, and energy. For some it may take repetition over and over and over until it becomes a particular muscle memory. For others it may a thought process  that enables them to be able to do something fairly quickly, and sometimes immediately. It just depends on what it is also, but everyone just needs to investigate how their brain is wired, and act accordingly. If you have to do something over a hundred times, then do it. If you need to associate something to be able to mentally execute something else then do that. But find your methodology, and apply it, in the variations that you need to, because chances are if you develop it to an extent, the way you did one thing just might be applicable to another. Here is the hardest part though: whatever you learn, make it so that it is hard to forget. That means learning something in such a constructive manner for yourself that you will not have to worry about losing that particular knowledge, or ability on the back end. For example, I happen to be lucky enough to remember how to play some songs that I haven't played in 20 years. Yes there are probably hundreds more that I have forgotten, but however I learned some particular songs in the bigger picture, was thorough enough where it stuck, and won't leave my head no matter how I try. I'm no genius by any stretch, but I did learn important lessons about work ethic and practice when I was a kid that benefited me to this day. So my point is that all of us have the ability for methodology. Find what yours is, work at it, and execute it. The more you put in, the more you get out. The more you get out, the more of a desire you'll have  to develop it even better. A complete inner and outer win/win. So work it baby! Work it so hard until it's easy. There's always a method to madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment