Saturday, April 9, 2011

Race and The president: The creeping nuanced language of circumstance

First of all I would like to preface this Blog post by stating a few things. 1)I am not affiliated with any political party. I believe that it is an illusion of difference.2) I do not believe that everyone who criticizes the president is some racist nut, nor do I believe that everyone on the right hand side of ideology, or everyone who is in the Tea party movement is a racist. I have wonderful friends and folks that I call family who have complete opposite  views that I have on some topics, and know tea party members, and they are as far from being racist as you could be. They are wonderful people who just have different ideas of operation 3)I believe that people have the right AND duty to scrutinize, satirize, question, debate, like, or not like, or even hate the president's policies, or actions, or even call him an idiot if they choose. That is what makes America what it is, and I don't give a rat's ass about that stuff.
What I want to talk about is disturbing to me, and it's what I call "The creeping nuanced language of circumstance". Every race or group in this country has its history of oppression, and pain that has defined them and is within their DNA of history. But Blacks in America have a special relationship with this country because we were not immigrants, we were unwilling imports. We were purchased, sold, branded, castrated, beaten, burned, raped, subjected to unspeakable physical and mental abuse all by a country that called itself "Civilized". We were told that this is not our country, and would never be. When the time came, we fought in every single war that this country has had, and each time came home from it thinking, "Now that we've done this and shown our love for this  place, and defended it, things will be better." And they never were. And until the leaps, and gains of the civil rights movement, and the residuals of those events, things didn't get much better, but afterward there became forward progress in all areas that we all as people benefit from today.

Flash forward now to Barack Obama becoming the president of the this land which was the most important and significant social leap forward in this country since Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball. This event finally would hopefully propel this country to the mentality of where it should be..That anyone can be anything, and that color etc...doesn't matter. America voted more on the idea of what America can be and the hope of the future of just how it could be more than anything else when you really get to it. And trust me that was important because it showed that most Americans want that idea to reality transition.
Enter the first opposition movement which is going to happen to any administration, but the battle cry for this one was not something catchy like "let's get fiscal" or the "Back to finacial responsibility" movement. The cry was "Let's take back our country." Code, and language says quite a bit, and this was a language of nuanced circumstance. Think very carefully because of what I mentioned earlier. You tell a segment of people for so long that this is not their country, how could you possibly create a counter movement that announces that you want to take the country back from something or someone, the minute they see and feel for the first time they they really are part of it, and not see how it's a bothersome battle cry. It doesn't matter what the movement meant ..It's the NUANCED LANGUAGE, that fuels the fringe, and stirs the memory for older blacks who were told time and time again that they didn't belong here, and that they will never be considered a part owner in this country, and that is what creates distrust and suspicion of motives for a movement. Every movement has a right to be here, but the nuance of the movements is bothersome.
You have movements of people saying that he's a Muslim. I don't remember any other President being called one, but the one that is, has brown skin, and given the paranoia of people against Muslims that is fuel for a segment of folks, and says "You are not one of us"
You have movements saying he wasn't born in this country. I don't remember anyone saying this about a president but once again the language is saying that once again that "You are not one of us, and don't belong.
You have movements saying that he and his wife don't love this country, and that they are unpatriotic. Again fueling the "You are not one of us" mentality.I don't remember any other first lady candidate being accused of being angry and not loving this country, but fuel the "Angry Black Woman" depiction, and there it is. And you even have his wife depicted in pictures as a woman with a big ass compared to other women, and who has "Eaten too much fried greasy foods". Need I say more about nuance?
Again I do not care if people criticize the man, hate his policies, satirize him in "Newsweek", or think he's an idiot. I don't give a crap, and he's done things that I agree with and don't agree with.  But I didn't like the idiocy spewed by Kanye West about Bush anymore than I liked Glenn Beck's idiotic statements about a racist president. What I'm writing about here is the language of nuance, that many African Americans are very acute to in this country, as are lunatic fringes who pick up the nuances, and fire up like minds to action. It is the nuanced language that is spoken in seriousness, and not jest that is the bearer of discomfort...Joking is one thing...Stoking fires is another.
Do Blacks need a thicker skin? Absolutely, in order for us to unify as people and to unify with other peoples in this country and move everyone forward, and that is happening. But given the deep fabric and texture of this country and its history in relation to Blacks, I don't understand how people can't get that the wounds are still fresh, and the ears are still sharp. It has been only one lifetime since Civil Rights laws were put in place to protect everyone, but emerged out of the nuance of language and actions that told blacks "You are not one of us and you have no rights". It truly is not what is said, but how that makes a big difference.
I believe that there will be other presidents of all races and genders in the future, and there will always be the creeping nuanced language of circumstance perpetuated by a very small but vocal segment of folks who don't want it or any progress to happen. That is America in 3D.
I must end this post by saying that I don't consider myself speaking for all. What I do is observe, listen very carefully to folks around me, in my family, in my circles of friends and people I associate with, as well as what I hear strangers say, in conjunction with what I personally read, and understand about the history of this country, and the endless mentalities that inhabit it. This is my opinion, like it or not. Even if one disagrees with it entirely, I hope that I have given you something to at least think about.

3 comments:

  1. Since January 20, 2009 I've observed some comments made in reference to our current president that (to me) had an undertone of racism. I can't prove it, and these commenters won't admit to it, but the nuances (excellent definition) are glaring. It's embarrassing that we've come this far to not progress at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Mel. I also find it unsettling that some influential characters (like Trump)continue to fuel distrust all in the name of personal gain. But is'nt it always. However, I can't agree with Wardo to say that we haven't progressed at all. I would like to believe that with every new generation we come together a little more and realize we are all just human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's coming from both sides, it's not only affecting old racial wounds, but there is a spiritual element out there baiting people on faith and "stoking the fires" of current religious tensions. Accusing Obama of being a secret Muslim is just a glimpse.

    Years of work to bring us together is being undone by a very small and vocal few.

    ReplyDelete